1) Be sure that you are taking care of your family and yourself. A flood of your home is certainly a traumatic experience, so you’ll need to be sure that while your home is in a temporary state of disarray, that your family is as happy and healthy as can be. Stick together, discuss your thoughts and feelings, get some sleep, eat as well as you can, and watch each other for signs of stress. With children, explain the situation and listen to what they have to say. Reassure them that this is, while a horrible event, a temporary incident that will all be over soon. Make sure that the children stay away from the flooded area(s) of the home and that they (as well as yourself) wash their hands and stay as clean and hygienic as possible.
2) Begin the process of turning your house back into your home. First, check to make sure that it is safe to enter the home – shutting off the electricity and the gas before entering. Remove valuable items and place them where you know they will be safe. Then, get fresh air moving through the home, remove any debris, repair any floors or ceiling sections, and call a professional emergency crew – in this case, GW Savage.
3) Lastly, develop a recovery plan. Will you need to get your insurance company involved? Most likely yes, but determine whether you should contact your homeowner’s or flood insurance carrier. Decide what you yourself can do, and understand that GW Savage can absolutely help with those things that you cannot perform for yourself. Especially in the event that you are not comfortable or experienced in doing some sort of repair, do not hesitate to call a professional.
- Staying Safe While Keeping Clean - September 30, 2020
- Welcome Rachel Keefer! - September 24, 2020
- Labor Day Weekend is a Good Fall Cleaning Weekend - August 31, 2020
- As Vermont Re-Opens We’re Here to Help! - July 25, 2020
- Ways to Prepare Your Home for Storm Season - June 29, 2020
- COVID-19 Virus Updates - March 23, 2020
- Cleaning Work: Before and After - February 28, 2020
- Cleaning with Morantz Ultrasonic - February 1, 2020
- G.W. Savage Set to Work with Violand Management Assoc. in the New Year! - December 31, 2019
- 10 Tips to Keep Your Home Warm This Winter - December 22, 2019