Every year in the United States, there are approximately 374,000 residential fires, resulting in a staggering $7 billion in property losses. The good news is that many of these fires can be prevented with simple precautions and awareness.
In this blog post, we will explore key tips to help you reduce the risk of fire damage in your home or office.
Cooking and home heating are responsible for a significant portion of residential fires, accounting for 72% of all cases. Ranges are the most common appliances to cause fires. Always stay attentive when cooking, and never leave the kitchen unattended. Keep flammable materials away from heat sources, and ensure your heating systems are well-maintained and used safely.
Shockingly, in 2018, 38% of battery-operated smoke detectors failed to sound during fires. To prevent fire damage, it is crucial to have working smoke detectors. Test and change the batteries regularly and replace detectors if they are more than ten years old.
Space heaters, if left unsupervised or placed too close to flammable objects, can cause thousands of fires each year. Make sure your space heaters have sufficient clearance from curtains, furniture, and other combustible items. Never leave them unattended, and turn them off when not in use.
Keeping a fire extinguisher is an essential preventive measure. Learn how to use it properly, and make sure it is easily accessible in the event of an emergency.
Electrical fires can be devastating. To reduce the risk, update your electrical systems as needed. Watch out for signs of trouble, such as sparks when plugging in devices, burn marks or discoloration around sockets and switches, frequent breaker trips, or blown fuses.
Extension cords should only be used as temporary solutions. Avoid overloading them, and never run them under rugs or carpeting. It is safer to have additional outlets installed by a professional electrician.
Preventing fire damage requires vigilance and proactive measures. Do not ignore warning signs, maintain your appliances, and regularly inspect your home or business for potential hazards. Fire damage is a devastating experience, but with awareness, prevention, and our certified restoration team here at GW Savage, you can protect what matters most.