Facts About Mold

Mold is a common household problem, and it can be very dangerous to live with, especially for a long time. You can usually identify mold by its black, orange, green, or yellow spores. It also often develops a musty, rotting scent that can affect areas of your home such as your basement, attic, crawl space, and bathrooms.

What Is Mold?

Mold is a type of fungi. There are a lot of naturally forming molds found in nature. Mold in your home is often caused by moisture not receiving proper ventilation. It can be dangerous to live with because it can affect the air in your home.

How Can I Prevent Mold?

Mold most commonly forms in areas of your home with poor ventilation that experience moisture. Bathrooms without a good vent or open window often grow mold because of the steam from showers and the high level of moisture in the air. Kitchens also can experience mold growth because of the steam from food. 

Keeping humidity levels in your home low can help prevent mold from forming. You should also allow air to flow freely, whether through open windows and doors or ventilation. Make sure no unwanted moisture is getting inside, such as through a leaky roof or improperly sealed windows. You should also make sure any flooding or water damage is cleaned up immediately to limit mold growth.

How Do I Get Rid Of Mold?

Mold is difficult to get rid of completely. A lot of household cleaners that are advertised to clean mold often remove the visible pores but do not tackle the underlying problem, so the mold will continue to grow back over and over again.

Restoration professionals say that the best way to get rid of mold completely is to remove the affected materials and make sure they are thoroughly dried, removing all moisture. Some materials may need to be replaced entirely because the mold cannot be completely eradicated. Don’t hesitate to hire GW Savage. It is the best way to ensure that the mold is completely and properly cleaned.