Below freezing temperatures can lead to issues in your home, including inefficient heating and frozen pipes. In addition, snow and ice can threaten your home and cause damage.
The following tips will help you be proactive in preparing your home for the winter. Taking the necessary steps to prepare your home for the severe cold can save you money in the long run by preventing damage to your home.
● Winterize sprinklers.
● Clean gutters of leaves and debris to encourage proper drainage.
● Check the roof for leaks & structural defects.
● Landscape maintenance.
● Shut off outside water and drain hoses.
● Check floor drains in garages to ensure that it’s clear for ice and snow to melt.
○ Winterize faucets to avoid freezing pipes.
○ Test smoke/carbon monoxide detectors and replace batteries.
○ Clean furnace, fireplace, and/or chimney to prevent creosote buildup.
○ Replace filters and service chimneys if necessary.
○ Weatherstrip windows and doors.
○ Add insulation to your attic and crawl space to reduce heating bills.