When people discover mold, one of the first questions is usually, “can mold in my home cause health problems?” This is an understandable question—there are many myths and misconceptions about residential mold that can cause people to worry.
The short answer to whether mold in your home can cause health problems is YES, mold has the potential to cause health issues. Most mold commonly found in homes is not harmful, but some kinds, like the kinds that come with water damage, can cause a reaction. Certain people are more sensitive to mold than others. In these people, mold can cause symptoms like nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, or skin irritation. For people who already have asthma, mold can aggravate their symptoms. Also, according to the CDC, exposure to mold can cause upper respiratory tract symptoms, like coughing or wheezing, in otherwise healthy people.
Keep in mind that you should throw away any porous items, especially building materials and non-washable items, that have been contaminated with mold, because even dead spores can allergy and other respiratory problems.
These are some of the most commonly reported health symptoms associated with residential mold infestations:
Some people can feel sick with a small amount of mold, and for others it takes much more before they start noticing symptoms. Children, elderly people, people with compromised immune systems, or people with exiting respiratory conditions are at a greater risk for health problems due to mold.
If you suspect that a mold problem in your home might be causing health problems for you or your family, you should consult a general doctor, who may in turn refer you to a specialist. But the most important thing you should do is contact a professional mold remediation company to help get rid of the mold problem. You should also work to find and stop the source of the moisture—that way you can help prevent the mold problem from coming back.